Thursday, February 10, 2011

2011 Reading List

I like reading but I don't do nearly as much as I'd like to so I've decided it's time to change that.  I was updating my Goodreads account recently and my stats for 2010 show I read 8 books.  Eight. Sad.  
How can I keep encouraging my kids to read if I'm not?!


Before I had looked at my stats I had decided I was going to shoot for at least 1 book per month.  I know it doesn't seem like much, but if I do it I'm already beating my score for last year!  Hopefully I can do better than that.  I'm already behind so I have a bit of catching up to do.  


We're almost half way through February and I've only read one book.  A book that took me way too long to read!  I plan to continue to update Goodreads so if you'd like, come by and request me as a friend so we can read together.  I also hope to continue to update this post so I have a record of the books I've read here too.


Got any recommendations?  Be sure to let me know.  Right now the only ones on my "to read" list on Goodreads are books that I actually have.  I have another written list I've made that I need to add to that.

Below is a running list of books I've read for the year.  Beware that the list may contain spoilers! 


January:
Psych: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read, William Rabkin(finished 2/10/11): My whole family loves this show so when I found out there were a couple books based on the series I decided I had to read them.  It's a fun easy read.  Though like I said it took me way longer to read it than it should!  I'm sure I'll eventually read the rest of them.


February:
The Broker, John Grisham(started 2/11/11,finished 2/20/11): This one was OK.  I've enjoyed most of the other John Grisham books I've read but I didn't think this one was a good as others.  This is the 18th, I've actually been trying to read them in order.  I'm weird that way.




 Water for Elephants: A Novel, Sara Gruen(started 2/21/11, finished 2/24/11) I really enjoyed this book and I wasn't sure I would.  My mom first got it awhile ago and I remember thinking "Whatever, a book about elephants, a circus, not for me". But then when I saw there was a movie being made and it starred Robert Pattinson my interest was piqued.  I read it wanting to know the story before seeing the movie.  I'm glad I did!

March: 
Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me, Howie Mandel.  I remember Howie from the 80s and St. Elsewhere.  It was quite interesting to find out just how far back his issues with OCD and his phobia with germs went back!


April/May:
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments), Cassandra Clare (started 4/19/11, finished 5/6/11)  The first book of another young adult series.  I guess I'm still a teen at heart!  LOL  But I'm kind of liking these fantasy type series lately.  I was so not expecting what happened toward the end!!  I won't say in case anyone reading hasn't read it.


City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments), Cassandra Clare (started 5/9/11, finished 5/29/11)  I don't think I liked this one as much as the first, but still basically enjoying the series.  I must say though I am a little creeped out by the Clary/Jace relationship.

June:
City of Glass (Mortal Instruments), Cassandra Clare (started 6/7/11, finished 6/25/11)  This is my favorite of the series so far.  Questions answered and things explained so that everything that concerned me in the second book no longer does!  This book seemed to wrap up everything nicely which in a way makes sense considering when I first heard about the series I had read it was to be a trilogy.  Well, now there is a fourth book and plans for two more.  It will be interesting to see where it goes.  I have a theory based on the one thing that seemed to be left hanging in this book.  I hope it continues to be as good and doesn't loose momentum.


August:
Psych: Mind Over Magic, William Rabkin (started 8/1/11, finished 9/5/11) Another Psych book that took way to long to read.  I guess because I didn't really care for it.  I LOVE the TV show but this book was kinda boring.  


September/October:
Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 10), (started 9/6/11, finished 9/27/11) I've really enjoyed most of the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I think so far this has been my least favorite.  It just didn't have the excitement the others seemed to have.  I wasn't as drawn to get back to reading it as I had with all the others.  

City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4)Teen Science Fiction Books) (started 9/27/11, finished 10/13/11) Ugh!  This is why I hate starting a series knowing that all the books have not been published yet.......major cliffhangers!  I want to keep going but can't until next year. 


The Hunger Games ,Suzanne Collins (started 10/20/11, finished 10/27/11) Yes, I know.  I'm way behind reading this book.  No, I was not living under a rock.  It just took me awhile to get to it.  Kinda glad I did, because like I said after the previous book I read I like to just keep going with a series and not have to wait for the next book!  Great book though and I cannot wait to read the other two books!

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) , Suzanne Collins (started 10/28/11, finished 11/1/11) I'm really liking this series.  So glad I have the next one to just keep reading.  Ugh! But would Katniss just make up her mind on whether she wants Peeta or not!?!  Is he even alive??

November:

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) , Suzanne Collins (started 11/1/11, finished 11/6/11)  I like the series but many things frustrated the hell out of me.  The whole thing started to save her sister and she ends up gone in the end anyway. :(  I supposed at least some good came out of it all since they are all free now.  And I'm so happy that she and Peeta were able to find their way back to each other! 

The Innocent Man , John Grisham (started 11/23/11, did not finish) As much as I've liked most all the other John Grisham books I've read I just cannot seem to get into this.  Maybe it's because of the non-fiction thing.  It's basically just a retelling of events that occured and it's kinda boring.  It jumps back and forth between different murders and is just not keeping my interest.  Maybe I'll try again at a later time.  I really hate to start a book and not finish but I've spent too long trying to get into this one.  Time to move on. 

as of 12/31/11:
That makes a total of 14 attempted and 13 read for 2011!!  I reached my goal and even went over by one book.  I think I'm going to keep going in 2012 and start another post logging those books also.  I have quite a few on my to read list so I'm going to try to beat my number from this year.



2 comments:

Amy said...

I have a few on my nightstand...waiting to be finished and started. I love to read but I never sit and do it!

Let me know how that goes for you :)

Mamarazzi said...

i miss reading books. i really need to get back to that and make time for ME!