Thursday, August 7, 2008

Vacation Undies

The kids and I are heading out next week to visit family in Massachusetts. Hubby doesn't have much vacation time so he isn't able to join us :(

So I've been getting things ready for our trip and picking up things we need. One of those things is our "vacation undies" as our family likes to call 'em.

I know, you're probably thinking "this woman is crazy, what is she talking about?" Well, since the 80s sometime our family (mom and us kids) and my Uncle's family (mom's brother, his wife and kids) have had a little inside joke about packing our vacation undies when we travel.

It's funny, it wasn't until a couple years ago that we realized that their idea of VU was completely different than ours!

Here's what we do.......before we go on our trip we go out and buy all brand new underwear to take with us. Because you know the old saying about getting in an accident with old, dirty underwear.

Here's what they do......they pack all their old, ratty underwear to take on the trip. Each day as they finish wearing a pair they throw them out. Then they figure there's that much room they save in their suitcase when returning home.

Well, I don't know about them but my undies aren't that big that they save me that much space or weight for the return trip home. How many souvenirs can I buy that take up the same space as my undies?

So unless they're wearing big old fashioned granny bloomers it ain't worth it!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Ha! Thats funny! I can't wait to see all of your vaca pics :)

Aim said...

That's so funny! Have a great time!

Heather said...

Hee! I bet if I suggest the "toss 'em" vacation undies idea to my hubby, he'd be all over it. The man is all about saving space and packing efficiently. I'm much more of an "rather overpack than underpack" kinda gal, myself!

Cheers!