Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Little Bit Longer

This post has been swimming in my head since yesterday afternoon. I need to get it all down before I forget all I wanted to say. Hopefully now that I'm putting it in print it will make some sense.

Those that read my blog regularly know that my older daughter Skowt was diagnosed with diabetes last July. I can't believe it's been almost a year now. Within a week of finding out, my mom found an article in People magazine about Nick Jonas of the
Jonas Brothers. Since then Skowt, or maybe moreso I, have felt a connection or sense of inspiration from that. Knowing that even though my daughter has this life changing disease she can still be what ever she wants. Including a famous pop star! I think part of what helps is knowing someone who seems to "have it all" is going through the same thing.

My mom subscribes to Diabetes Forecast the magazine put out by the
American Diabetes Association. Since she lives with us I usually see her mail everyday. Yesterday this magazine came and Nick was on the cover. I haven't normally been reading the magazine. I don't know, maybe I'm still afraid to admit we don't totally have it all together. But seeing his face on the cover I couldn't help but open it up and find the article.

The more I read about him and his family, the more of a fan of them I become. Their story of his diagnosis sounds so familiar and hits so close to home. The same things his mom worries about are constantly running through my head. Though on a much smaller scale. My kid's not a pop star traveling the world and playing to thousands of screaming fans every night! But on some level I know what she is feeling. They seem like a very down to earth, grounded and close nit family. I really hope the boys can retain that even with all the fame.

The first thing I read was a few lyrics from a song he wrote. The title track for their new CD "A Little Bit Longer" due out August 12th, is a song he wrote about his diabetes.


Got the news today
But they said I had to stay
A little bit longer and I'd be fine
When I thought it'd all be done
When I thought it'd all been said
A little bit longer and I'll be fine.

But you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
And you don't know what it's like to feel so low
And everytime you smile or laugh you glow
You don't even know,
no, no
You don't even know.

Here is one of many youtube videos of the song. I dare you not to cry



object width="425" height="349">




2 comments:

Aim said...

I can't view the video until I get home, but from one Jonas Brothers loving household to another, I think that you needed to see that article at this point for some reason. It has been almost a year, and look where you are right now. Look where she is right now. It's all good. Baby's favorite brother is Nick, so you're in good company. :-)

Unknown said...

Lynn-my nephew (and godson) was diagnosed with Type 1 3 years ago. I quickly became my sister's back-up-someone she could leave him with. I know it's not the same as my own child, but I have been right there with them on this journey. You are in my prayers!